Saturday, November 20, 2010

Praetextus and Paulina

November 20 is the day of Praetextus and Paulina, according to the Pagan book of Days. They are noted for resisting the order of Valentinian, a Christian emperor, to suppress the Greek Eleusinian Mysteries, condemned as pagan rites. Demeter was the goddess presiding over the mysteries-- Praetextus and Paulina permitted her mysteries to be celebrated according to tradition.

November needs a little something to counter the encroaching darkness ...

All is well here. I wish I could be with you for our traditional turkey mystery, but the threatening weather and the distance prevent that, as in several previous years. I am invited to Sue's house, and will add my parts to her turkey feast-- a splendid wine from Westport Winery, Pinot Noirvana. And my famous sweet-potato/yam dish and other stuff. Luckily no great travel is involved; she lives just down the hill, and if weather were too bad would come and get me anyway, as her car is a heavy one and handles well on ice and wet pavement. So I shall have a small celebration of our typical late autumn holiday, before our era passes into history ...

Onward ...

No comments:

Post a Comment