Sunday, January 24, 2010

What does work--?

Well, I just lost everything I had typed except the We at the start-- don't know why this happens, but it is exasperating to look up and see the blank screen where the words ought to be. What I earlier started to say was that your blog on O'Sullivan would go well on RR. It deserves a wider audience than it finds here, on this private site.

Last night's celebration of William Stafford's birthday at the Green Salmon in Yachats went-- swimmingly. The hall was packed. Stafford, an Oregon poet and former poet Laureate, as well as a CO during WWII and many other activities and commitments, including years teaching at Lewis and Clark, is growing in fame. More than 55 such gatherings and readings in his honor were celebrated in January, mostly in Oregon, but also in Japan, Korea, and Germany, I think, among the places named. I keep wondering what a Japanese reader would make of the Oregon-ness of the poems, but I suppose it could be an item of the Wild West zeitgeist beloved by Japanese readers since Daring Donald MacKay's era--? Anyway, the poems were well read and wonderfully received. Some of the currently famous among Oregon's poets came over from the Valley for the event. Ingrid Wendt and Ralph Salisbury read, and many more. My friends the Strausses drove me down for it, to prevent the need for my traveling in the dark. Stafford readers will recognize the line.

Glad to learn Rachel and Taymen and all are safely back. I hope to hear more soon, and to have an address for Sage and Carlee.

More anon. I'm OK, cats are fine, all is calm all is bright here ...

No comments:

Post a Comment